Last week I had to install a new vCenter Server for a Customer.
After installing all products (SSO, WebClient, Invetory Service and vCenter Server) without any error messages, I restarted the server.
Once the server came up, i checked the services and all came up. So i thought everything would be ok. No, it wasn’t!
I opened the Webclient by typing https://localhost:9443/vsphere-client/ and I recieved the following error message:
No problem, I thought! There will be a KB article, I thought!
Yes, there was a KB article but VMWare was probably making some maintenance on their page so i had no access to the article.
btw. this is the article: http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=2044953
So first of all i tried to reinstall the WebClient. Still the same error. After trying and trying everything i thought it could help, I finally gave up and told the customer he should try to open the KB article the next day.
No sooner said than done, the customer called me the next day an said that with the kb article he resolved the problem. He uninstalled the webclient and reinstalled it on a path without blanks at C:webclient.
After this, the webclient ran smoothy and both were happy 🙂
So the actual webclient may have problems with blanks in the installation path. Also if you install it on another partition than the system disk C: the client won’t run.